Saturday, September 22, 2007

Native New Yorker

New York. I've lived here all my life, first Brooklyn than Staten Island. I've just realized I am one of those "native New Yorkers" who take this city for granted.
Thursday I went to Manhattan for about the millionth time in my life, but this time was different. I was going as a tourist, not a native New Yorker because I had to take pictures of Manhattan for my Discover New York class. As I was taking the ferry I turned to my boyfriend, who also happens to be a native New Yorker, and asked him if he had ever been to the Statue of Liberty, Eilis Island, or any other big tourist attractions. He flat out said no and i should have expected that considering I wouldn't have the slightest idea how people even go to the Statue of Liberty.
When I got to Manhattan I walked around taking pictures of all the things most tourists take pictures of like the bull outside the stock exchange, Trinity Church, St. Paul's Chapel, Times Square, Broadway, and Radio City. These are all places I've seen hundreds of times before, but it is different when you actually stop to look at them and appreciate how great they are. Even though I felt like an idiot because i felt like such a tourist.
The only thing that bothered me was Ground Zero and he World Trade Center Memorial in St. Paul's Church. I can understand why people want to go there and see these things, but you shouldn't gawk. Sometimes I feel like this shouldn't be an attraction because if you're a native you know exactly how devastating 9-11 was.
I'll never go to Manhattan as a tourist again, but I will start to appreciate what a great city I am lucky enough to live in.

No comments: